• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

What I Learned in Broomfield: PMs & Pipes

#250144 1 year ago
So I thought I was pretty well informed about both the Forum and glass, but at Broomfield I found out I wasn't, on either subject. I thought I'd share what I learned (and ask NobleGlassArt to fill in):

1) I had no clue that one could get an email notification of a Forum PM. Seriously, no clue! So for a year and half I've been signing in to check messages, and thought everyone else was too, until I was enlightened at Broomfield. I never could get my Comcast email to accept the auto-notices from the Forum, no clue why. I know how to deal with my junk mail filters. But since I switched to my GMail address, I'm getting all the notifications. So in case anyone else was as clueless as me (unlikely as that may be), now you know you can get emails when you get a PM. Boy, do I feel stupid for sending PMs to folks that weren't hanging around the Forum anymore, thinking they didn't know about them!!

2) Here's where NGA really opened my eyes to a glass-related issue! Dylan, if you could please correct/expand on this for me, I'd greatly appreciate the public service it would do!! Apparently, glass pipes from overseas can only have one hole drilled in them, which means usually a second hole is made by the vendor for a carb. And if the glass shavings resulting from making that second hole aren't washed out of the pipe, they're going to be inhaled by the first person using that bowl, which would not be a nice thing for your airway at all. The shocking part was finding out about one multi-store head shop owner who did NOT clean his pipes out. So the moral of the story is, always clean out your new glass pipes before using them, or better yet, only buy US-made glass products, ideally from the actual maker of the pipe.

Last Edit: 1 year ago by SunshineSue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, gvanman, NobleGlassArt
CosmicCookie
Senior Boarder
Its dizzying, the possibilities...

Re: What I Learned in Broomfield: PMs & Pipes

#250155 1 year ago
I knew about the PMs but thanks for the heads up on pipes! I never take to much care to wash out new pieces but I sure will now.
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#250163 1 year ago
Good to know about the pipes, thanks
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#250183 1 year ago
You've pretty much got it right on. Imported pipes from our eastern neighbors (China, India, etc) have pretty regulations for coming in to the US. In order for them to be considered a "Tobacco" pipe, making it legal, there can only be one hole in the pipe when it comes over the border.

The problem is, most bowls we use have two holes. The mass produced bowls will often come in by the case with everything completed, carb hole, and bowl pushed in, but no hole to smoke through. The importers will drill the center hole out, leaving all sorts of nasty glass residue.

Other than immediate discomfort, which you may never experience, you're also susceptible to Silicosis, which is a silent killer. This comes from inhalation of direct glass particles (from the drilling) and also from poor handling of the glass during the annealing process.

Silicosis: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

In many cases these bowls never get properly cleaned after the drilling. So if you're buying an imported pipe, you're not just hurting local artists, you're hurting yourselves.

-Dylan
Twenty-seven years of nothing but failures and promises that I couldn't keep
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#250184 1 year ago
Thanks Sue for bringing this up.

I talked to a fellow head, who owned a shop, knew about the risks, still bought mostly imports, and still doesn't clean out the pieces.

Bad karma.
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#250185 1 year ago
PS I'm only recently checking my PM's fairly regularly, for a long time I was clueless!
Warlock
Platinum Boarder

#250188 1 year ago
Sue... glad to hear you worked out the e-mail notification !!!!
Phred
Senior Boarder

#250229 1 year ago
Wow! I too was completely in the dark about the foreign glass. Thanks for the valuable PSA! NGA, do you have an online catalog that can be looked at? Or is that still a bit of a sketchy topic? I'd love to see your work. Was going to catch you in Broomfield, but was so sick I couldn't make those shows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NobleGlassArt
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#250244 1 year ago
Yay for vaporizing!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
NobleGlassArt
Gold Boarder

#250342 1 year ago
I try to avoid posting pipe pics online, as I've had a couple buddies run into some trouble that way.

Though, I'd be happy to email any FFF some pictures. Send me a PM with your email address, and what you're looking for, and I'll send a bunch of options

I was pretty unprepared for the CO run because of family stuff, but this summer I'm hoping to meet many more FFF
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds